Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lazy Chef Recipes- The Oatmeal Egg Banana-Dried Cranberry Patty

Hey guys, so this is the first recipe that I am putting up. But hold on, before you run to get your baking pans and turn on your oven, let me explain. We aren't going to be baking. We are going to use what I call Lazy Chef Recipes. 
    I am a busy woman. I am also a huge proponent of being time efficient, mostly so I can play more. Some might call it sloth, but I call it being smart. But I also like to eat tasty and healthy food. How can these 2 ideals exist together peacefully?? This idea was birthed when my husband (then fiance) was on one of his 6 month long deployments; time was plenty and I had idle hands and a pantry full of random ingredients. 
   I began thinking of how I could make something with protein, complex carbohydrates, fat, and also knock out a couple food groups also. Like Frankenstein toiling in his laboratory, I created my first prototype- the oatmeal, egg, banana-dried cranberry patty. Just like you probably did, my roommates thought I was very strange, but I paid the rent so I was alright. 
 Even though it was my first experiment, the recipe hasn't changed much and I still use it to this day. The Oatmeal Egg Banana-Dried Cranberry Patty takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, can be eaten hot or cold, and can be made small enough for a portable snack. Here is the recipe/instructions: 
 *also, feel free to experiment with what kinds of fruit you put in or ratio of ingredients- I have, but find this combo to be the easiest.


Ingredients:
 * 1 cup rolled oats (not instant oatmeal)
 * 1 ripe banana
 * 1/4 cup dried cranberries
 * 2 eggs


1. Put rolled oats in a medium mixing bowl. Add just enough hot water to get all the oats wet, not soaked. Let sit for about 3 minutes. This allows the oats to partially soften, making the patty not as brittle.
2. Add banana. Mash it up with a fork. Stir thoroughly. 
3. Add both eggs. 
4. Add dried cranberries
5. Hand mix until even.
6. Heat up large skillet on medium heat, with olive oil to prevent sticking.
7. Use 1/4 cup size scoops and cook just like you would a pancake, cooking each side evenly. 
8. Eat. 


* If you find the taste too bland, try adding a good amount of honey. 
* I would love to hear from those who try this recipes. Become a follower and make a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment