Friday, May 19, 2017

Book Review- 31 Verses to Write on Your Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs

Alright, I am finally sitting down to write a review on this book. I received it in October of last year, and to be honest, I wasn't motivated to read it.

Perhaps it was the morning sickness. Perhaps I was a little bit in a funk due to life circumstances (another story for another time). Perhaps the book wasn't the cup of tea I was expecting. Perhaps a little of all.

But, here we are. 6 months later, I am now a mom of 4, and we are in a completely new season in so many ways. I think passing through that tunnel gave me a new fervor to pursue my own writing- starting with writing on somebody else's writing! ;)

So- my summary of this book is that it is a satisfactory reference/guidance book on several key scriptures that you could call "staple scriptures".

Lady Liz (it sounded cool, okay?) lays her book out with 31 chapters, a verse to go with each one. She very meticulously breaks down the verse and writes her own commentary on it. Now, this is where the book kind of bored me a bit. I LOVE  Lady Liz's laid-back, honest and fun writing style. But there was a little bit of a jerkiness to the stop and go of breaking down the verses. Informative, but it was a little difficult to settle into the book. I did, however, appreciate that the chapters were short and sweet.

At the end of each chapter, she gives a tip on how to memorize scripture, such as writing it, or walking around and saying it. I thought this was clever, and from a practical standpoint, a great instructive for people genuinely wanting to memorize theses scriptures.

The cover of the book was well done, and eye catching. A vase of pretty roses sits in the backdrop, with pretty white cursive as the title. The headers of each chapter are beautifully done also, with a black /white watercolor of roses at the top of the page.

I didn't notice any repetitive editing mistakes, however, there were some pretty bad blunders in some chapters regarding the page header- the one the says the chapter name. I hope the editing team or whatever caught this before the final draft was published.

There is a very handy study guide with questions at the end of the book. All in all, I would give this book a 7 on scale of 1-10. It wasn't mind blowing, but I would say it's a great little tool in the spiritual toolbox.

What about you? Did you read this book?
What things do you want to know about a book before buying it?







No comments:

Post a Comment